On 8 July 2009, ATA Chief Executive Stuart St Clair delivered a televised address to the National Press Club about the importance of the trucking industry. In his speech, Mr St Clair talked about:
- the indispensable role of the trucking industry in delivering Australia’s freight;
- the advantages of using an emissions trading scheme to deal with climate change, rather than imposing burdensome regulations;
- truck taxes and charges, and the difficulties with using GPS-based mass-distance-location systems to charge trucks;
- the need for streamlined national heavy vehicle laws; and
- the challenge of improving safety.
ATA Chief Executive Stuart St Clair.
National Press Club, 8 July 2009.