This paper sets out the policy measures needed to reduce the number of accidents involving trucks. It discusses:
- the real causes of truck crashes, based on research by National Transport Insurance;
- the safe systems approach to prevent road accidents and minimising the consequences of the accidents that occur;
- the need for safer roads;
- regulatory measures to enable the industry to use longer, safer trucks like B-triples;
- improving driver training; and
- building safer companies through the ATA’s TruckSafe program, and how it can help companies meet their obligations under chain of responsibility.
Stuart St Clair, ATA Chief Executive.
Journal of the Australasian College of Road Safety, August 2009. Reprinted with permission of the Australasian College of Road Safety.